AMCD Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Summit
As a 2018-2019 presidential initiative, the Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD) is proud to present the Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Summit June 21-22, 2019 in Orlando, Florida. Join AMCD for a 2-day Summit focusing on the role of counselors in responding to mental health disparities with racially/ethnically marginalized populations at the University of Central Florida campus.
- To engage counseling practitioners, educators, trainees and related professionals in interdisciplinary dialogue on mental health disparities with racially/ethnically marginalized populations across multiple identities.
- To disseminate multicultural research addressing mental health disparities.
- To center the Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Competencies (MSJCC; 2015) in social justice action through individual counseling and community advocacy.
- To empower counseling practitioners, educators, trainees and related professionals with strategies and best practices for counseling advocacy at individual, community and public policy levels.
Here’s what to expect leading up to the AMCD Summit in June 2019:
|September 2018||December 2018||January 2019||February 2019||April 2019||May 2019|
|Call for presentation proposals||Registration opens||Presentation proposals due||Notification of proposal decisions||Full program available||Early bird registration closes|
Plenary Session Speakers
The Opening Session features the Multicultural Counseling Competencies Revision Committee commissioned by AMCD Past President, Dr. Carlos Hipolito Delgado.
- Dr. Manivong J. Ratts, Seattle University
- Dr. Anneliese A. Singh, University of Georgia
- Dr. Sylvia Nassar, North Carolina State University
- Dr. S. Kent Butler, University of Central Florida
- Dr. Rafe McCullough, Lewis & Clark College
The Summit also features a cross-disciplinary roster of speakers, including:
Dr. Margarita Alegría
Chief of the Disparities Research Unit at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Professor in the Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School
Dr. Benjamin Cook
Director of the Health Equity Research Lab, Director of Research in the Department of Psychiatry at Cambridge Health Alliance, and Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the Harvard Medical School
Dr. Wizdom Powell
Director of the Health Disparities Institute and Associate Professor of Psychiatry at University of Connecticut Health
Dr. Fernando I. Rivera
Associate Professor of Sociology, Interim Assistant Vice-Provost for Faculty Excellence, and Director of the Puerto Rico Research Hub at the University of Central Florida
Call for Volunteers
- Applications are open for on-site volunteers during the Summit. If interested, please fill out the following form: Volunteer Application
- With limited positions available, volunteers will receive confirmation of selection via email no later than February 2, 2019. Contact Tiphanie Gonzalez (email@example.com), Volunteer Coordinator, for more information.
Call for Proposals: Due January 15, 2019 (Deadline Extended)
- Proposal Submission Types:
- 30-minute posters (for students only)
- 60-minute education sessions
- 90-minute education sessions
- Online submission portal: https://goo.gl/forms/QvnpCTY71w0bUezL2
- For questions or concerns regarding presentation proposals, contact Kim Lee Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org) or June Hyun (email@example.com), Program Subcommittee Co-Chairs.
Online Registration: Available December 2018 through Eventbrite
- Early Bird Registration Rates (by May 1, 2019 11:59pm EST)
- AMCD Student Member Rate: $75
- Non-member Student Rate: $115
- AMCD Professional Member Rate: $150
- Non-member Professional Rate: $190
- Regular Registration Rates (after May 2, 2019 12:00am EST)
- AMCD Student Member Rate: $90
- Non-member Student Rate: $130
- AMCD Professional Member Rate: $170
- Non-member Professional Rate: $210
Note: Registration prices do not include fees charged by Eventbrite
Event Facilities and Hotel
Summit activities will be held at the Morgridge International Reading Center (MIRC)
University of Central Florida (UCF) campus
4000 Central Florida Blvd. Orlando, FL 32816
AMCD has contracted a $139 room rate for June 20-23, 2019 at The DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando East-UCF Area
12125 High Tech Ave. Orlando, FL 32817
Reserve Now: http://group.doubletree.com/AMCD-Summit
Note: Discounted rate is only guaranteed for the first 100 rooms. Reservations must be received by June 1, 2019
AMCD is seeking additional sponsors and exhibitors for the 2019 Summit. For more information, please complete the following Sponsor/Exhibitor interest form and contact Shon Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. American Counseling Association (ACA) Divisions interested in exhibiting their division and co-sponsoring an allotted concurrent session at the Summit, please complete the sponsor/exhibitor interest form and contact email@example.com for session information.
For more information on the AMCD 2019 Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Summit, contact Adrienne Erby (firstname.lastname@example.org), Summit Coordinator and Planning Committee Chair.
We hope to see you in Orlando in June!